< menu
Broxted, Essex  
   

External link to STOP STANSTED EXPANSION campaign

Stop Stansted Expansion

Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on

Wednesday, 13th November, 2002

in the Village Hall at 8.00 p.m.

Present were:

Mrs Burton, Mr Clark, Miss Collinson, Mrs Kesterton, Mr Knowles, Mrs Oliveira, and Mrs Clark (Clerk).

In Attendance:

Mr Whitehead (for part of the meeting) and one member of the public.

  1. Apologies for Absence

    These had been received from Mrs Flook, and subsequently Mrs Cheetham.

  2. Approval of Minutes of the Previous Meeting

    The minutes of the previous meeting held on 11th September, 2002, having been circulated, were agreed and signed.

  3. Matters Arising

    1. Common Land

      The Clerk had written to County enquiring about ownership of the Common Land at Cherry Green. A reply had been received advising that if there is an owner of the Common Land in question then the Register of Common Land would state who that was. It was possible to purchase a copy of the Register and a plan of the area in question at a cost of £6. It was noted that the Parish Council of the registered area does not have the power to grant easements without the owners' consent. It was unanimously agreed that a copy of the Register be purchased.

    2. Dumping of Cars at Brick End

      A letter had been received from Uttlesford confirming that, at a meeting of the Development Control and Licensing Committee on 12th August, 2002 it had been agreed that enforcement, and, if necessary, legal action be taken requiring the cessation of use of the land in question for the storage of cars. An Enforcement Notice alleging breach of planning control had been issued to take effect on 6th November, 2002 with one month allowed from that date for compliance.

    3. Delfit's Lane

      A letter had been received from County advising that a voluntary restriction on use had been placed on Delfit's Lane for the winter months, with immediate effect until April 2003, limiting the use to walkers, cyclists and horse-riders. If the condition of the surface improved the restriction would be lifted. If it did not and it appeared that vehicles were continuing to damage the surface, consideration would then be given to imposing a Traffic Regulation Order legally enforcing the restriction of use. A copy of this letter had been sent to the residents of Sucksted Green for information, and urging them to report any violation of the voluntary restriction. Miss Collinson reported that, from her observation of the lane, it appeared that it was still being used by motor cyclists.

    4. Jubilee Village Sign

      Mr Clark had spoken to Ron Halls, the blacksmith at Molehill Green, and various possible designs had been discussed. Members agreed the outline design of a sign to be placed on a pole on the site of the old flagpole on the corner of Cranham Road. It was unanimously agreed to spend up to £230, thereby topping up the village surplus from the Jubilee Celebrations to £500. Mr Clark would progress the matter.

    5. Consolidation of Definitive Map of Public Rights of Way

      Mrs Burton was to attend the seminar and collect copies of the consolidated map on 19th November.

    6. Recreational Land

      The Clerk had written as requested to Mullucks, who are handling the sale of Goodacres, about the possible purchase of some of the plot for recreational use. A reply had been received asking for the area of land required to be specified. The Clerk was asked to enquire about the price of the whole of the southern part of the plot in order to assess the feasibility of the purchase of the whole or part of the plot.

    7. Highways Sign outside The Flying Rat

      The sign had been removed after the meeting and before the Clerk had reported the matter to Highways.

    8. Bulb Planting

      Mr Clark had purchased a sack of daffodils at a cost of £22.50. A work party to plant them was arranged for 17th November.

    9. Parish Transport Grants

      The Clerk had written to Great Easton, Little Easton and Takeley Parish Councils asking if they would be interested on pooling resources. A reply had been received from Takeley indicating that it was not interested and from Little Easton that it was interested. Mrs Oliveira offered to contact Uttlesford Community Travel to set up a meeting to take the idea forward. A scheme needs to be drawn up before any grant is forthcoming.

    10. Emergency Planning

      Miss Collinson had attended the meeting on 25th September and reported that the main area of concern appeared to be flooding. It was noted that our Parish Emergency Plan needed updating. Miss Collinson agreed to attend the next meeting, to be held on 26th November.

  4. Freedom of Information Act 2000

    The Clerk briefly outlined the requirements of the Act which applies to all public authorities and which received Royal Assent on 30th November, 2000. It is "designed to develop a culture of openness amongst public authorities". A publication scheme which has been approved by the Information Commissioner now needed to be adopted and maintained. There is an approved model scheme which, if adopted, needs no further approval, or a bespoke scheme can be created which will need approval. Once a scheme has been adopted there is an obligation to routinely publish information in accordance with it. Because Parish Councils vary so much in size and functions, the model scheme comprises a number of core classes of information which are mandatory, a number of optional sections within those classes, as well as a group of optional classes. The Clerk had studied the documentation carefully and believed that it was only necessary for Broxted to adopt the mandatory classes of the model scheme with no options. This would mean that it was only necessary to complete and submit a Declaration form at this time. This needs to be done between 1st October and 31st December, 2002 to be in place by 28th February, 2003. Details of all classes were outlined and are attached. Members agreed unanimously to adopt the core classes only without any options. This was proposed by Mrs Kesterton and seconded by Miss Collinson. The Declaration form was duly completed.

  5. Stansted Airport

    Mr Whitehead explained that, as he owned property in the area that would be affected by any expansion of the Airport, he was debarred from expressing any opinions on the matter, and was not allowed to take part in the discussion on the County Council's response to the discussion document.

    The Clerk had completed and returned a questionnaire on behalf of the Council, following the guidelines issued by SSE, and had added a comment as to just how strongly the Parish Council objected to any further expansion at Stansted.

    Some members had helped with the Red Letter Day organised by SSE on 2nd November. A stall had been manned at The Prince of Wales junction, with leaflets and help with letter writing being offered to passers by. There had not been very much activity, but it was felt to have been worth the effort as the posters etc had been seen by the passing traffic.

    A number of members were planning to take part in the London Rally on 23rd November.

    Essex County Council had been to the High Court to seek a judicial review of the consultation process, which it thought was unfair as it excluded Gatwick from the proposals. The result of the review was awaited.

  6. Correspondence

    1. Parish Council Representation

      A letter had been received from Uttlesford reminding members that Parish Councillors do not have an official recognizable form of identification to use when making official visits, when perhaps they ought. This was duly noted.

    2. Proposals for Changes to the Accounts & Auditing Regulations 2003

      A letter had been received from EALC noting the proposal to make minor alterations to the newly introduced audit regime. Members agreed that the Clerk should deal with this as she saw fit, since the proposed alterations would only affect her.

    3. Uttlesford Local Plan – Revised Deposit

      Notification had been received that the revised Deposit Plan was available for inspection.

    4. Street Cleansing Best Value Review – Consultation Exercise

      Details of the above had been received for comments as appropriate.

    5. Publication of the Revised Register of Electors

      Forms were available for members to request a copy of the new registers, both full and edited. Members were advised that it is now a criminal offence to allow information in the full version that was not in the edited version to be disclosed to any member of the public. Information in the edited version may be used without restriction.

  7. Finance

    1. Balances

      Balances as at 31st October, 2002 at Barclays Bank, Dunmow were reported as follows:

      Community Account (current) £   796.42
      Business Reserve Account (high rate deposit) £4,323.02
      TOTAL £5,119.44

    2. Budgets

      As at 31st October, 2002 these stood as follows:

        Allocated Spent  
      General Admin inc S.137 £5,500.00 £1,138.79  
      Contingency Fund £1,000.00 £500.00 (donation to SSE)
      Village Hall £1,000.00 £1,000.00  
      Queen's Golden Jubilee (balance) £900.00 £693.84  
      Capital Fund balance of funds £480.88  

    3. Cheques

      It was agreed to sign the following cheques:

      Peter Freeman – second half year grass & hedge cutting £92.50
      Roger Clark – purchase of bulbs £22.50
      Essex County Council – purchase of register of Common Land £6.00

    4. Clerk's Contract

      The Clerk had searched through some old papers and found a contract she had signed in 1983.

    5. Audit

      The books and associated paperwork had been passed to the internal auditor who had found everything to be in order. He had made no charge for the scrutiny, for which very grateful thanks were extended. The necessary documentation was now with the appointed external auditor.

    6. Precept 2003-2004

      Members were reminded that, under Section 106 Local Government Act 1992, if anyone was in arrears for more than two months' Council Tax, he or she could speak in the discussion but not vote on the setting of the precept. After some discussion it was unanimously agreed to precept for £5,500, proposed by Mrs Burton and seconded by Miss Collinson. The increase of £500 from 2002-3 was deemed to be prudent in the light of the huge costs being incurred by Stop Stansted Expansion, which was likely we would wish to contribute to.

  8. Planning Matters

    The current position on planning matters is as follows:

    1. Tudor Cottage – addition to single storey extension

      Awaited

    2. Leswins, Chapel End – renewal of outline permission for the erection of a bungalow

      Awaited

    3. Tuija's Cottage, Pledgdon Green – erection of a replacement dwelling and garage

      Awaited

  9. Any Other Business

    1. Hedges – The Maltings Road

      It was noted that the hedges had been cut back very tidily.

    2. Broxted Directory – 2003

      The 2002 Directory was updated for 2003.

    3. Speed Reduction – Chapel End

      Mrs Oliveira had met with Highways on site to discuss proposals for the area between Rats Castle Farm and The Chapel, which it was hoped would encourage motorists to adhere the 30 mph speed limit. A budget of £3,500 had been allocated which would provide for a road painting scheme, the design for which was due for completion in December, 2002.

    4. Rural Speed Limits

      Mr Whitehead, as County Councillor, advised that new rules had been agreed to make it easier to extend existing 30 mph speed limits in rural areas.

    5. County Forum

      Mr Whitehead explained the operation of the Area Forums being run by the County Council. These provided an opportunity for Parishes to meet with County Councillors and discuss matters of interest. It was pointed out to Mr Whitehead that meetings in the daytime would preclude most Parish Councillors from attending and a plea was made for meetings to be held in the evening.

  10. Date of the Next Meeting

    The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Wednesday, 8th January, 2003 in the Village Hall at 8.00 p.m.

The member of the public present was thanked for his attendance and the meeting closed at 9.55 p.m.

 

External link to the FIVE PARISHES

Five Parishes

   

External link to STOP STANSTED EXPANSION campaign

Stop Stansted Expansion

External link to the FIVE PARISHES

Five Parishes

< menu
 
   
top

This site is run on a purely voluntary basis, at my own expense. Although this site was formerly run on behalf of Broxted Parish Council, the council no longer controls or endorses its contents. Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained within it is accurate. Neither the site manager nor Broxted Parish Council accept any responsibility for any losses arising from the use or misuse of any of this information, nor for the contents of other websites to which this site may contain links, (over which I have no control).

For up-to-date information on the Parish Council, please refer to its new site at www.essexinfo.net/broxted.

Technical Info Best viewed at screen resolution 1024 x 768. Virus Warning
top